Thursday, October 9, 2008

Grace smells good?

Read Exodus 30:23-25 & 30:34

As I have found throughout my studies into grace there is Biblical Numerology that I was quite unaware of. Or course I knew that 3 & 7 were good, but I didn't quite understand why. I had heard that the number 8 stood for "new beginnings" and it does, i.e. 8 people on Noah's Ark (2 Pet. 2:5); circumcision on 8th day (Gen. 17:12); God made 8 covenants with Abraham. It struck a personal chord because when Micah was born he weighed 8lbs 8oz. Little did I know at the time my heavenly Father was still trying to show me His grace even though I was giving birth to a baby out of wedlock, and living with a man who did not have a biological relation to my son.

I have found that the number 5 represents grace. So here's what it says: Not only did Israel come out of Egypt 5 in rank (Ex 13:18), David picked up 5 stones to fight Goliath (1 Sam. 17:40). I have also come across the fact that anointing oil and incense were both made up of 5 ingredients. The incense was made with 4 sweet spices and 1 part salt, the oil was made 4 parts spices and 1 part oil. This is important because if you look at the number 4 it is the number of creation, the number 1 is the number of unity(one Lord). If the 4 ingredients did not have the 5th component they would not bind, and would be useless. I know the same is true for us. Where would we be without the Lord? Where would we be if He didn't cover us with His grace? I'm sure that I don't ever want to know, but I thank Him for allowing me to look back on my screw-ups and not cringe as much as I used to. I'm not completely at ease with who I was, but I am with who I'm becoming in Him. We no longer have a need for oil and incense like they used to, but it can't hurt to go back and look at how precious these were to those who loved the Lord. It was something tangible that was worth quite a lot. Have we gotten away from seeing Him as so precious because we don't have an offering to give that is as worth as much as a years wage? Do we take Him for granted because He gave us the ultimate gift and asked nothing in return?

OK so I may be taking bunny trails, but I am hoping all this will be a start to thinking about the complexities of the Lord, and just how truly amazing His grace is.

No comments: